Monday, February 20, 2012

Incesticide - Nirvana

(1992 - DGC)

Dive – In true Nirvana-style, this song features a very dirty, catchy bassline accented with very sharp but not shrill lead guitar parts from Kurt. “Dive in me” is the catchline here, the song seemingly to be about a desperate groupy wanting Kurt’s junk in her superhard. Prolly Courtney.  6/10

Sliver – Ah yes. I too have fantasized about recounting a completely uneventful evening spent with my grandparents in a scathing grunge ballad. The instrumentals in this one drive harder than in Dive, but have some very clean bits. 8/10

Stain – This song sounds like Deathmetal played through a grunge filter. Lyrics seem to be about feeling like a persistent, worthless debaser within society. 6/10

Been A Son – Never really liked this song. The instrumentals are pretty generic for Nirvana, but the lyrics are pretty deep. I too should have been a son. 4/10

Turnaround – Here we go. This is one of those songs you play at a show when you’re failing epically and need everyone to get the fuck up and do some heavy poppin’ and lockin’. Really a “shut up and fuck me” sort of song, but also a heavily satirical political piece. 6/10

Molly’s Lips – I love songs about women. I also like kissing women.  7/10

Son of a Gun – This one reminds me a lot of mid-nineties post-grunge bands like Simple Plan and Weezer. Nirvana went really post-themselves with it. 6/10

(New-wave) Polly – I really dislike this track – mostly because it just sounds like a very rushed, unrefined version of the previously released version. 2/10

Beeswax – One of the best tracks this band ever released. “I got my diddley splayed” has to be the best chorus ever, the other lyrics are completely unintelligible, as well as violently sexual (all the best lyrics are) and the instrumentals are VERY classic Nirvana. Hear my fuckin’ hate. 10/10

Downer – This album has a lot of cool bass intros. Kurt does this weird, fast punk-mumbling in this song. This song is probably the most political on the album, sort of combining Stain with Son of a Gun. 8/10

Mexican Seafood – Title makes me nauseous. Most of Kurt’s lyrics sound like he’s about to throw up, which is awesome. 8/10

Hairspray Queen – Another cool bass intro, then a really retro Fender-ish guitar part I really like. The notes on the vocals in this song are eeeeverywhere. It’s a very emotional song, in an “I’m so doped up on heroine I cant feel my face” sort of way. 7/10

Aero Zeppelin – My kind of ballad – a song about how shitty the mainstream, generic, heteronormitive world is. Song is simpler musically, but not to an extent this album hasn’t already seen by this point. 6/10

Big Long Now – That’s what she said. Really slows it down for you on this one. Reminds me of a friend of mine and his love interest trying to have sex while robotripping, but ending up just throwing up all over themselves and passing out on each other in their own filth. 7/10

Aneurysm – Great track. The intro is so powerful and driving – the epitome of grunge excellence. You can really feel the hate in this one. Lyrics are about heroine overdoses and how fun they are. 9/10

This is Nirvana for Nirvana fans. If you’ve ever only heard Nevermind and think the Nirvana sound stops at Smells Like Teen Spirit and Heart-Shaped Box, go kill yourself. You have not experienced true grunge, and deserve all deaths horrific. This band’s been around since the eighties – get with it or go home and cut yourself to some My Chemical Romance, Faggo.

Verdicto: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment